Memoire

Not forgetting. 

I am trying to connect my own cultural memory and collective memory. I feel like I have an obstacle in my mind for connecting with the collective memory because of the lack of some family traditions and I discovered that I am unintentionally obsessed about "not forgetting". Also, I am aware that even "collective memory" terminology is problematic though, but it is another issue to discuss.

Memories are like sediments. You think you forget them but their traces stay in your mind (in your subconscious) and they shape you while they are piling up.

I guess I can say that my father's uncle had Alzheimer and I'm not sure it has affected me for having some kind of obsessions about "not forgetting". I am the only one in the family trying to collect family mementoes.

Sometimes I feel like I have Tabula Rasa, like a blank mind with a slippery ground. No memory can stay there and that feeling affects me. I feel like I lose my memories and then I'll lose some part of my identity. I am not afraid of change. I want to understand what has affected me and still affects. We are building ourselves with memories that we have and everything we did impact and shape our behaviours, point of views, especially "our beings". After something important things happened, first thing popping up in my mind is to have a new tattoo about it, because I want to carry it instinctively, I want to remember it, I don't want to forget it. I am always printing my photographs because I need proof that I really felt that feeling or I really was there. Sometimes I am drawing the places I liked. Personal documentation.

I had graduated from Architectural History, Theory and Criticism programme, I had taken lots of social science classes like Post-Colonial Theory, Human Right Activism, Identity, Memory and Culture, Modernities without a Center, Trauma and Analysis...  and I am still asking the question that why we are sometimes unable to remember events, places and objects? Obviously, it is related to modernism, great speed that we live in, unmemorable non-places; there are lots of social theoreticians who thinks and teaches about memory and narratives. The shortening of the life cycle of consumer goods leads us to a cultural change. The average life of people is prolonged while the average life of products, objects and buildings is shortened and this leads to cultural amnesia both in terms of personal memory and cultural memory.

My motivation is to not forget fundamentally, which is not opposite of "remembering". Forgetting and remembering aren't antonym words, they are totally different. Actually, we can take forgetting and remembering like a memorial cycle. I can say I am trying to dig out traces starting from mine's and to collective memories.

Yorumlar

Bu blogdaki popüler yayınlar